Nelson Hollow Bridge
Mill Brook Bridge No. 5
This 25-meter-long cottage roof-style covered bridge is one of only two of its style stillThis 25-meter-long cottage roof-style covered bridge is one of only two of its style stillstanding in the province of New Brunswick. The journal of John Nelson (whose name is todayused to identify the area) reveals that this bridge finished construction in 1873. As of 2023, thisbridge is over 150 years old, making it the oldest covered bridge in the province; and the latersurviving covered bridge in Northumberland County. The Bridges' longevity is attributed to itslong history of local upkeep and restoration efforts. Documents reveal that between 1899-1900,businessmen Frank and Bob Swim would oversee “bridge construction” in Nelson Hollow. InIn1923 the floors of the bridge would be replaced. During the second half of the 20 th century, theCentral Miramichi Historical Society was pivotal in restoring and salvaging the historicallandmark. Initial efforts to restore the bridge were undertaken by the Central MiramichiHistorical Society in 1974, with subsequent repairs materializing in the 1980s, early 2000s, and 2010s. The photo below was taken during the first major restoration in 1974.
Price Family Homestead
McNamee Road at Holt Road, SW Corner
Description: The Price Family Homestead is a modest pioneer homestead constructed of hand sewn logs circa 1809. It is the oldest home in the area. It is situated on the McNamee Road at the Holt Road on the SW corner. It is located in the McNamee region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.
Heritage Value: The Price Family Homestead is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the earliest pioneer settlers to this area. This home is believed to have been built in 1809 by a member of the Price Family. It is known that in 1812 Richard and Abigail Price and family were residents. Originally built on the McNamee flats, adjacent to its present location, this place was moved by the Price Family following a heavy spring flooding using a team of Oxen. The access road leading to the McNamee Flats location was closed off with wooden bars, locally known as "Aunt Abby's Bars". It was later occupied by such local surnames as McNamee, Donald and Holt. It housed the first McNamee Post Office when occupied by resident John McNamee. It is the only known surviving homestead constructed of hand hewn log construction in the Miramichi River Watershed.
St. James the Greater Anglican Church
6959 Route 8 Ludlow
Description; St. James the Greater Anglican Church is a one and a half story structure of Gothic Revival architecture. It was constructed in 1887 and is situated on the north side of Route 8 in the Ludlow region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.
Heritage Value: St. James the Greater Anglican Church is designated a Local Historic Place for its religious architecture for its spiritual impact within the community. Bishop John Medley, New Brunswick's first Anglican Bishop, was keen to ecclesiastical architecture and was responsible for the construction of more than one hundred churches of this architectural style within the province over a span of forty seven years. Reverend James Hudson, a missionary who came to the Miramichi area in the 1830's , was instrumental in the construction of many of the Anglican churches along the watershed, all bearing similar architectural design, under Bishop Medley's direction. Reverend James Hudson died in 1881. Construction of St. James the Greater occurred in 1887 and was dedicated as a memorial to Reverend James Hudson. As was customary of the time, a special train was sent from Fredericton to carry the Diocese Bishop Medley and others for the Consecration Service on Saturday, July 9, 1887. The land on which the church stand was given by Mrs. John Murphy Sr., nee Ellen Price.
Southwest Miramichi River
Description: The Priceville Footbridge is a two span cable suspension footbridge linking the region of Priceville to McNamee on the Southwest Miramichi River in the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi. It is accessed from the south side of the Miramichi River by McNamee Footbridge Lane, off the McNamee Road and from the north side via The Priceville Road.
Heritage Value: The Priceville Footbridge is designated a Local Historic Place for its importance within the community like as a link between the adjacent communities. This bridge replaced a former steel structure that was in place for one year when a cable snapped during the spring freshet of 1939, taking the lives of three local men; Willard Price, Tennyson Price and James Stewart; two others survived. It lacked a span support mid way and a weight restriction of three persons was posted. In an epoch poem recounting the Priceville Tragedy, one of the men who died was enroute to meet the local train. The purpose of his trip was to purchase his wedding license. The bridge broke again in 1961, as the result of a abutment failure.
W.A. Campbell Store
6152 Route 8
Description: The W.A. Campbell Store is a two and a half storey Commercial storefront and is a vernacular interpretation of Classic Revival architecture. It was constructed circa 1870 by Scott Fairley and is situated within the business district in the Boiestown region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.
Heritage Value: The W.A. Campbell Store is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the Campbell Family who resided and did business here for five decades. This place was constructed by lumberman Scott Fairley circa 1870. In 1897 this place was purchased from J. Fairley by recently widowed Mrs. Margaret Campbell. Campbell and her children moved from their former site in the community and re-established themselves here and carried on the established merchant business trade and post office of her deceased husband, John Campbell. The business was carried on under their son's name, W.A. Campbell, who also operated a telegraph and telephone office with his sisters Margaret and Blanche. Following W.A.'s death in 1917 his sisters continued business here. Margaret Campbell was Postmistress here until 1947. Also of significance was W.A. Campbell's widow, nurse Eliza Campbell, who continued to reside here with her sisters in law and performed limited medical procedures here with injured lumberman in the absence of the local doctor.