St. James the Greater Anglican Church
6959 Route 8 Ludlow
Description; St. James the Greater Anglican Church is a one and a half story structure of Gothic Revival architecture. It was constructed in 1887 and is situated on the north side of Route 8 in the Ludlow region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.
Heritage Value: St. James the Greater Anglican Church is designated a Local Historic Place for its religious architecture for its spiritual impact within the community. Bishop John Medley, New Brunswick's first Anglican Bishop, was keen to ecclesiastical architecture and was responsible for the construction of more than one hundred churches of this architectural style within the province over a span of forty seven years. Reverend James Hudson, a missionary who came to the Miramichi area in the 1830's , was instrumental in the construction of many of the Anglican churches along the watershed, all bearing similar architectural design, under Bishop Medley's direction. Reverend James Hudson died in 1881. Construction of St. James the Greater occurred in 1887 and was dedicated as a memorial to Reverend James Hudson. As was customary of the time, a special train was sent from Fredericton to carry the Diocese Bishop Medley and others for the Consecration Service on Saturday, July 9, 1887. The land on which the church stand was given by Mrs. John Murphy Sr., nee Ellen Price.
Also of historic significance is the Lynch Gate located on the church front grounds. This is one of three such structures located within the Anglican churches in New Brinswick. It was customary at a funeral for the casket and procession to wait here, outside the gate, to be led into the church by the attending minister.
Source: Rural Community of Upper Miramichi, Site File #09-03
Character-defining Elements: The character-defining elements associated with St. James the Greater Anglican Church include:
- one and a half storey of gothic revival form and massing, designed under the direction of Bishop Medley;
- steeply pitched gable roof
- positioning of the building on an east-west axis;
- side entrance sheltered by a gabled vestibule;
- entrance door with label moulding;
- side gabled vestry on chancel south wall;
- belfry with pyramidal roof and quatrefoil lancet louvered vents located at west end
- side gabled exit on chancel north wall;
- clad in wooden clapboards;
- shallow oriel window with brackets on the rear facing façade;
- single and triple windows with label moulding.
The Character-defining elements relating to the Lych Gate include:
- low pitched gable roof;
- wooden ornate supports;
- side hinged picket swing gate;
- painted white.