Emergency Measure Information

During a power outage: 

  • Remain calm,
  • Check whether the power outage is limited to your home.
  • If your neighbours' power is still on, check your own circuit breaker panel or fuse box. If the problem is not a breaker or a fuse, check the service wires leading to the house. If they are obviously damaged or on the ground, stay back at least 10 meters and notify your electric supply authority. Keep the number along with other emergency phone numbers near your telephone.
  • If your neighbours' power is also out, notify your electric power supply authority.
  • Turn off all tools, appliances and electronic equipment, and turn down the thermostat(s) for the home heating system down to a minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when the power is restored. Power can be restored more easily when there is not a heavy load on the electrical system.
  • Turn off all lights, except one inside and one outside, so that both you and hydro crews outside know that power has been restored.
  • Don't open your freezer or fridge unless it is absolutely necessary. A full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
  • Never use charcoal or gas barbeques, camping heating equipment, or home generators indoors. They give off carbon monoxide. Because you cannot smell or see it, carbon monoxide can cause health problems and is life-threatening.  
  • Use proper candle holders. Never leave lit candles unattended and keep out of reach of children. Always extinguish candles before going to bed.
  • Listen to your battery-powered or crank radio for information on the outage and advice from authorities.
  • Protect sensitive electrical appliances such as TV's, computers, and DVD players with a surge-protecting power bar.



  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  6094 Route 8, Boiestown

Keep in Touch