Methodist Parsonage

Methodist Parsonage

Methodist Parsonage

3503 Route 625

PID# 40473712

Description: The Methodist Parsonage is a two storey Classical Revival residence c.1875 and is located on a knoll on the north side of Route 625 in the Boiestown regions of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.

Heritage Value: The Methodist Parsonage, or United Church Manse, is a designated Local Historic Place for its architecture and for being the home of the ministers of the Boiestown Methodist Church, which later became the Boiestown United church. This building is a good example of rural Classic Revival residential architecture from this era. The front facing gable roof, the two storey bay window on the front façade and the returned eaves are key features of this style.

Nelson Hollow Bridge

NelsonHollow

Nelson Hollow Bridge

Mill Brook 0.5

Description: Nelson Hollow Bridge is a wooden covered bridge located near the mouth of Mill Brook accessed from Lyons' Lane off of Route 8 in the eastern most region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.

Heritage Value: The Nelson Hollow Bridge is valued for its architecture unique to a bygone era. It is also valued for its nostalgic and aesthetic appeal. The current bridge was built in 1899-1900 and replaced the former structure which stood in the same spot since 1870. Wooden bridges were susceptible to harsh seasonal  climates and a covered barn-like structure became a popular addition to the construction of bridges during this era because it greatly extended the lifespan to the bridge. Covered wooden bridges, like this one were also known as "kissing bridges" and were often associated with courting couples as places of romantic settings.

Priceville Footbridge

PricevilleFootbridge

Priceville Footbridge

Southwest Miramichi River

At McNamee

Description: The Priceville Footbridge is a two span cable suspension footbridge linking the region of Priceville to McNamee on the Southwest Miramichi River in the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi. It is accessed from the south side of the Miramichi River by McNamee Footbridge Lane, off the McNamee Road and from the north side via The Priceville Road.

Heritage Value: The Priceville Footbridge is designated a Local Historic Place for its importance within the community like as a link between the adjacent communities. This bridge replaced a former steel structure that was in place for one year when a cable snapped during the spring freshet of 1939, taking the lives of three local men; Willard Price, Tennyson Price and James Stewart; two others survived. It lacked a span support mid way and a weight restriction of three persons was posted. In an epoch poem recounting the Priceville Tragedy, one of the men who died was enroute to meet the local train. The purpose of his trip was to purchase his wedding license. The bridge broke again in 1961, as the result of a abutment failure.

Price Family Homestead

Price Family Homestead

McNamee Road at Holt Road, SW Corner

PID# 40086522

Description: The Price Family Homestead is a modest pioneer homestead constructed of hand sewn logs circa 1809. It is the oldest home in the area. It is situated on the McNamee Road at the Holt Road on the SW corner. It is located in the McNamee region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.

Heritage Value: The Price Family Homestead is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the earliest pioneer settlers to this area. This home is believed to have been built in 1809 by a member of the Price Family. It is known that in 1812 Richard and Abigail Price and family were residents. Originally built on the McNamee flats, adjacent to its present location, this place was moved by the Price Family following a heavy spring flooding using a team of Oxen. The access road leading to the McNamee Flats location was closed off with wooden bars, locally known as "Aunt Abby's Bars". It was later occupied by such local surnames as McNamee, Donald and Holt. It housed the first McNamee Post Office when occupied by resident John McNamee. It is the only known surviving homestead constructed of hand hewn log construction in the Miramichi River Watershed.

St. James the Greater Anglican Church

St. James Anglican

St. James the Greater Anglican Church

6959 Route 8 Ludlow

PID# 40080988

Description;  St. James the Greater Anglican Church is a one and a half story structure of Gothic Revival architecture. It was constructed in 1887 and is situated on the north side of Route 8 in the Ludlow region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.

Heritage Value: St. James the Greater Anglican Church is designated a Local Historic Place for its religious architecture for its spiritual impact within the community. Bishop John Medley, New Brunswick's first Anglican Bishop, was keen to ecclesiastical architecture and was responsible for the construction of more than one hundred churches of this architectural style within the province over a span of forty seven years. Reverend James Hudson, a missionary who came to the Miramichi area in the 1830's , was instrumental in the construction of many of the Anglican churches along the watershed, all bearing similar architectural design, under Bishop Medley's direction. Reverend James Hudson died in 1881. Construction of St. James the Greater occurred in 1887 and was dedicated as a memorial to Reverend James Hudson. As was customary of the time, a special train was sent from Fredericton to carry the Diocese Bishop Medley and others for the Consecration Service on Saturday, July 9, 1887. The land on which the church stand was given by Mrs. John Murphy Sr., nee Ellen Price.

Contacts

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  +506.369.9810
  +506.369.8180
  6094 Route 8, Boiestown

Keep in Touch